[openstreetmap-website] Changing approach to layout in order to fix some weird css problems. (#148)

Saman Bemel-Benrud notifications at github.com
Mon Oct 29 22:38:47 GMT 2012

The other way to avoid awkward scrolling on the map view is to use a fixed sidebar and allow the sidebar to scroll independently from the content area (which would be similar to what you get from Google or the [SOTMUS](http://stateofthemap.us/) site.).

I didn't go with the scrolling-sidebar approach because I wanted have a consistent experience between the map view and the other pages. If we used a scrolling sidebar on the map page, then a sidebar that flowed with the rest of the content when you're looking at changesets or a user profile, it would be a more obvious inconsistency, and I don't think a persistently fixed sidebar is a good idea at this point.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/148#issuecomment-9888399