[openstreetmap-website] New site lost the ability to link to visible bboxes on the map (#653)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Wed Dec 11 09:02:12 UTC 2013

So I'm happy for other people to chip in if they have different opinions and if the consensus of the developers is that we should bring this back then fine.

My concern, other than the cost of maintaining a feature we no longer have any need for ourselves, and of setting a precedent in terms of being unable to remove internal features that we no longer need because externals parties have chosen to rely on the, is that it's something of a slippery slope.

Basically I see this as heading towards the whole debate about the target audience of the web site and whether we want to provide an end user mapping service that lets people do things like overlay stuff on the map etc. Here's part of what I wrote in an email to @rjw62 about this last night:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/653#issuecomment-30304127