[openstreetmap-website] New site lost the ability to link to visible bboxes on the map (#653)

migurski notifications at github.com
Wed Dec 11 17:20:40 UTC 2013

Thanks for the further explanation.

Have you looked at the past server logs at all, to see if this is a feature people used with any degree of regularity? If it's just me then I accept that I've got a weird use-case, but if there were dozens of community members all using the box then I would imagine that keeping a useful feature with no UI implications would be an obvious win, in the absence of a consensus on the purpose or audience of the site.

Regarding the slippery slope, you're giving a pretty textbook example of the fallacy in action by not arguing for why people might start asking for full-on My Maps functionality. From my perspective, the box had been there for a long time and led to no harmful outcomes, so I don't really share your worry about its dangerous side effects.

On the other hand, I'm also not one of the people on the website firing line, so I appreciate the feedback and can find another way to pre-viz boxes for metro.teczno.com.

-mike.

michal migurski http://mike.teczno.com

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/653#issuecomment-30341022