[openstreetmap-website] New site lost the ability to link to visible bboxes on the map (#653)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Wed Dec 11 18:46:13 UTC 2013

@migurski I did look at the logs before we even deployed the new site, because I was aware that this was something that would be going away, and I discussed it with @jfire after gathering some statistics.

Look again now yesterday we had somewhere around 1000 requests with `box=yes` but a fairly large percentage are from search engine bots which are probably just rescraping old URLs and in any case they won't see any difference as a result of us ignoring the parameter.

There are also a handful of requests where the referrer is a page in our wiki, and almost all the rest lack any referrer at all, suggesting that they are coming from non-browser sources. I'm at something of a loss to explain that, especially as most of the user agents look like browsers. Maybe they are from people who have a bookmark with the `box=yes` parameter?

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/653#issuecomment-30349740