[openstreetmap-website] secret_token.rb probably ought not to be in the repository (#178)

Andy Allan notifications at github.com
Thu Jan 3 08:51:00 GMT 2013

In another rails project I work on, we have a secret in secret_token.rb, but also check for an override file. This allows things to work out-of-the-box when developing, but in production the secret token is overridden.

https://github.com/cyclestreets/toolkit/blob/master/config/initializers/secret_token.rb

Here's a chef recipe for creating the secret token:

https://github.com/cyclestreets/toolkit-chef/blob/master/cookbooks/toolkit/recipes/default.rb#L182

OSM uses chef, but might have to do things differently so that all the front-ends share the same secret token. Unless, of course, this is already taken care of by the OSM chef scripts!

In any case, we should probably update the REAMDE to suggest changing it when you're making your own installation.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/178#issuecomment-11837733