[openstreetmap-website] New map UI (#328)

Frederik Ramm notifications at github.com
Tue Jul 9 23:52:34 UTC 2013

Old behaviour under Linux: 1. right-click on permalink, 2. select "copy link location", 3. move cursor to target window (e.g. mail client), 4. click middle mouse button, done.

New behaviour: 1. Click on "share". Full text is auto-selected but not copied to clipboard. 2. right-click on text box. 3. select "copy" from drop-down. 4. move mouse to target window, 5. right click, 6. select "paste" from drop-down, done.

The old behaviour utilises the standard way of copying and pasting plain text under X called the "primary selection". This was used even when applications didn't have menu items for "copy" and "paste", and can even today be used with applications that only expect keyboard input. Simply mark something with the mouse anywhere and it is in your selection, no "copy" required. The new behaviour uses the "clipboard selection" which is not the preferred way of dealing with copy+paste because it requires more clicks. The painfulness of the new behaviour can be reduced by using key combinations instead of the context menu, but this is not standardised under X - for example, to paste a link into a terminal window I have to use Ctrl+C in the browser, but Shift+Ctrl+V in the terminal.

I'm pretty sure I explained that in detail to someone from MapBox a while ago (there was some redesign discussion and I explained how the way everyone was doing this with auto-select text fields was totally broken in Linux) but maybe that was before your time ;)

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/328#issuecomment-20713553