[openstreetmap-website] Allow users to 'maximize' the map/edit area (#331)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Sun Jul 14 13:21:09 UTC 2013

Well there aren't really tickets for something as general as "design work" rather as people have specific suggestions (or preferably code) they open an issue or pull request for that.

See for example the form restructuring pull (https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/300) which was merged recently, or the map UI one (https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/328) which is currently in progress. Those are some of the first pieces of the changes.

Something as vague as "make the site more responsive" is not really a very helpful thing to have open though, as it not concrete enough to have a point when we would be able to objectively say that it is done.

So far as the concrete suggestion of providing a user triggerable way to make the map full size, that is not a direction I think we should pursue, so unless there is community consensus to the contrary I am inclined to leave that closed.

Improved responsiveness to differences in client screen size is definitely a goal though - we do already make the map more or less full size on phone size displays (or at least try to) but we should probably have a better story for intermediate size displays like tablets.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/331#issuecomment-20936330