[openstreetmap-website] Add welcome page (#338)

apmon notifications at github.com
Wed Jul 17 22:34:13 UTC 2013

Some comments and questions:

1) Will this impact the flow of oauth registrations? I.e. if you start off on third party site and have to create an account to get an oauth token. At the moment, this should work fairly seamlessly with appropriate redirects. Does this still work?

2) "One Map Many Websites". I don't think the limiting one self to websites does OSM "justice". There are many non website uses from e.g. phone apps to art work. Imho this should be reflected in that text, as it is one of the distinguishing characteristics of OSM. Perhaps something like

"One Map, many uses!"
OpenStreetMap is used in large variety of places to provide maps to as diverse applications as websites, phones, hand held GPS, Sat-Navs or even games and art projects. If you edit OpenStreetMap, your contributions will be visible to 1000s of sites and applications, from private hobby projects to large enterprises, including big names like Foursquare, Garmin, Apple or the white house. OpenStreetMap.org is the central database to edit them all. So if you come from one of these sites to help improve their maps you are in the right place!

3) I agree with Frederik and Simon about the need for a policy of which names get mentioned. I think a policy like Simon's i.e. to only included (free) consumer facing products, I.e. to not include developer based companies like MapBox or Stamen, is sensible. After all, this introduction is to the "average joe" and not to developers.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/338#issuecomment-21150338