[openstreetmap-website] Replace scale with zoom level in Export tab (#368)

pnorman notifications at github.com
Sun Jul 21 06:40:43 UTC 2013

Well yes, but that downside applies no matter what we call the current input, so it's not really relevant unless you also change the backend handling the export calls, and there are additional issues with that[1]

Our approaches are related, current_display_zoom_level * zoom = export_zoom_level.

The problem is that zoom level is meaningless to most people. It isn't relevant for most mapping, it isn't something that they'd have any experience elsewhere, and it's not even something most GIS people would know about.

Zoom is a concept they're more likely to be familiar with. They input a zoom of 2×, they get an image that is twice the size of what they have selected.

[1]: The osm.org stylesheet does not work with different sized pixels because the icons are PNGs and will either be shrunk or be pixelated and look bad. It is actually possible to get the effect of changing the size of a pixel by changing the scale parameter passed to mapnik.render, see https://github.com/pnorman/mapbook/blob/master/mapbook.py#L203.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/368#issuecomment-21305949