[openstreetmap-website] Official Road Routing via multiple providers (#381)

Frederik Ramm notifications at github.com
Thu Jul 25 12:03:48 UTC 2013

There are various reasons. Depending entirely on sites operated by third parties is not something we've done in the past, so we would want at least one routing engine we run ourselves (if not run all routing engines ourselves). Allowing third parties to display JSON content on our site might have security implications that existing third-party content (tiles) has not. Not handling requests through the rails backend would mean that the routing cannot use existing localisation and user preferences. - There has been a solution like the one you propose, a long time ago, by Nic Roets (author of gosmore), and it was rejected because it was entirely Javascript. Maybe the world has changed since then.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/381#issuecomment-21549206