[openstreetmap-website] Include installation documentation in the repository (#317)
notifications at github.com
Tue Jun 25 09:44:18 UTC 2013
Based on discussions at EWG, it was decided to move the setup documentation into the repository. This PR features:
* Reviewed, tested and reworked installation notes
* Splitting contribution-related materiel into CONTRIBUTING.md
* Post-installation optional configuration steps in a separate (cross-platform) CONFIGURATION.md file
* Removal of some crufty bits of the old wiki docs
It doesn't include:
* Platform-specific installation notes. MacOSX and Fedora are anticipated
* Clarification by renaming the databases (to osm-development etc) - for a future PR, perhaps
If this PR is merged, then I will remove the stale documentation from the wiki and leave pointers to these in-repo documents.
You can merge this Pull Request by running:
git pull https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-website docs
Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:
-- Commit Summary --
* Start a contributing file based on content from the README
* Revise the readme.
* Call it UTC not GMT to reduce timezone confusion.
* Start the INSTALL.md with a big dump of the wiki information.
* Start rewriting install notes.
* Remove vendorer (now in Gemfile) and osmosis (it's optional) from minimum requirements.
* Start inlining the dependency information. But the stuff on the wiki is almost all wrong.
* The condensed version of installing the gems.
* Remove the stuff on populating the database, since this should be taken care of by a rake task.
* Remove this - 1.3.1 was released in 2008, and would be ensured by following the prerequists anyway.
* Remove code editing suggestion.
* Convert and simplify more installation instructions.
* Rewrite more database setup instructions.
* Quick reworking of the users section.
* Fix link.
* Remove the GPX, high-speed GPX and CGIMap stuff.
* Quickly fix markdown for the rest of the file.
* Remove info that's repeated elsewhere.
* Linkify to other files.
* Add more external links.
* Tweak intro.
* Remove the osmosis dependency, which isn't required for all development activities.
* Remove the hardcoded postgresql server headers version - it's dealt with later in the file.
* Nobody does this, so it's not useful installation information.
* Write notes on production.
* Ignore the generated docs.
* Move the development-related miscellanea to CONTRIBUTING.md
* Add missing dependencies, and wrap for better presentation.
* Actually create the databases at some point!
* Alter the example db config to use socket connections - these are enabled by default on Ubuntu.
* More database-related tweaks.
* Remove the database creation code, which is covered further up by rake db:create
* Tests work without manual btree_gist installation, so happy days.
* Found a package that depends on whichever postgresql-server-dev-X.X is required. Simplifies notes.
* More copy.
* Generalise the OAuth instructions now that we need three keys.
* Neither of these are correct - the warning appears if you haven't restarted the app, and the icons do appear fine.
* Move configuration to seperate file.
* Rephrase note about parser errors
* Add and explain choice based on repository size. Closes #1.
-- File Changes --
M .gitignore (1)
A CONFIGURE.md (117)
A CONTRIBUTING.md (99)
A INSTALL.md (176)
M README.md (147)
M config/example.database.yml (6)
-- Patch Links --
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the rails-dev