[openstreetmap-website] Redesign (#498)

John Firebaugh notifications at github.com
Tue Nov 12 16:40:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

The commits of the last couple of weeks finalize this pull request and incorporate key feedback. This is ready for final feedback with the goal of deploying it on the main site. Again, overall our goal was to tighten up the look and feel of OpenStreetMap without introducing new functionality at this stage. Please give it another spin on the [test server](http://redesign.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/) and report any issues here. Known issues are tracked against the [`redesign` milestone on the osmlab repository](https://github.com/osmlab/openstreetmap-website/issues?milestone=1&state=open).

Here is an overview of the latest round of changes:

## Frontpage

We have switched to a layout that allows us to have an *optional* side bar, giving us much more flexibility and space for the map. There is *no sidebar on the front page*, exposing the map full-width, creating more space than we have right now. In comparison to earlier designs, the header is 27% narrower, and the sidebar is 20% narrower. The welcome message is larger than today for new users and is not displayed for users who have already an account, giving us overall more real estate.

*Frontpage when not logged in*
![openstreetmap2](https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/98601/1518186/318e491c-4b32-11e3-8e02-d5aaa01bc1b5.png)

*Frontpage when logged in*
![openstreetmap1](https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/98601/1518187/318ed17a-4b32-11e3-92c2-97794312e72e.png)

## Sidebar

We finalized sidebar content for all browse pages. We cleaned up the style, incorporated ideas from @danstowell's [browse page pull request](https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/487), and made the various browse pages more consistent.

We added a close button to all sidebar states and removed the "View" link from the header, as it was effectively redundant with the logo itself. I know that many people used "View" as a reload or permalink mechanism, and don't worry: you can still use the logo for the same purposes.

![image](https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/98601/1518062/9a168bc4-4b2e-11e3-87a5-fc75d48605be.png)

## Mobile

Greatly improved the design of the site on mobile and tablet devices.

![image](https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/98601/1516821/2c9a9fe0-4b1a-11e3-88cf-decc788af678.png) ![image](https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/98601/1516826/3c3691ac-4b1a-11e3-8e76-5c816a6e71b5.png)

## Outstanding tasks

Barring any showstopping issues, we regard this PR as feature complete and ready to merge. Please take a minute or two to give it a try -- both positive feedback and constructive criticism is welcomed.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/498#issuecomment-28309700