[openstreetmap-website] Make map variable global (#538)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Tue Nov 19 14:32:34 UTC 2013

Our general policy is to avoid having anything in the global scope, and "making things easy for external scripts to monkey with the site" is not really one of our design goals.

We used to have lots of stuff in the global scope, and it was an absolute nightmare to manage and led to all sorts of unexpected conflicts and accidental action-at-a-distance bugs, so we have gradually been tidying up and moving stuff to properly encapsulate them and ensure that different pieces of code are isolated from each other and cannot accidentally interact.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/538#issuecomment-28794005