[openstreetmap-website] Create a rake task for populating the database (#282)

Paul Norman notifications at github.com
Tue Sep 17 07:42:58 UTC 2013

> Just to note that I'm currently hoping to try some tweaks to the /browse/ pages, which do require a data import, or else there are no items to browse. (Especially since, by default, the search box's results come from remote.)

Are you wanting to import data, or import then **edit** data? The first is relatively easy - create the database then use the osmosis `--write-apidb` task to import data (keeping in mind that `--write-apidb` is *amazingly* slow). To do it properly (not giving superuser to every postgres account involved) can be a bit annoying.

If the latter, then you need to muck about with sequences so when you add a node it gets a suitable ID.

Having set up an apidb database a few times for testing, I can say that it was *never* properly documented anywhere.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/282#issuecomment-24569477