[openstreetmap-website] Rip out user location map (#490)

Andy Allan notifications at github.com
Wed Sep 25 07:56:55 UTC 2013

I'm opposed to this change. It's the only mechanism by which you can find people in your local area (unlike lxbarth's comment above, knowing where people are is equally as important as knowing where they map, when it comes to building communities). Moreover, it's a great way to find out and build community with those who have registered and not mapped. Perhaps the people in this thread haven't done such outreach, but that shouldn't diminish its value.

The attitude of "thinking about a replacement after it's gone" is also a bad move. If the though process ends up designing something similar, then removing it was a waste. Moreover, without any timeframe we may end up missing this community mechanism for 3, 6, 9, 12 months or longer.

If we propose to replace this with something better, of course that's great. Lets wait until we've got the replacement ready first though.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/490#issuecomment-25068028