[openstreetmap-website] Routing (#716)

Richard Fairhurst notifications at github.com
Mon Mar 10 17:03:53 UTC 2014

Good spots - thanks!

First issue - I've moved the 'Go' button in https://github.com/systemed/openstreetmap-website/commit/9d8ab7dbd11f9fff0faf82b948bf1a07e86aa5b7 (and may I be struck down for using !important).

Second issue - populating the 'From' field with the 'Search' value is an appealing solution, but has the complication that the fields have different behaviour. 'Search' brings up all possible Nominatim results, whereas 'From' just chooses the top one. So if you were to search for Boston, choose the one in Lincolnshire, then click 'Get directions' and have the text copied across, your route would probably start with the one in Massachusetts.

I've discussed with @tomhughes the notion that the search interface could be ultimately rewritten in JS rather than going through Rails as at present, which would make integrating the two easier, but that's not a "right now" option. For now, populating 'From' with the lat/long of the chosen 'Search' result would work, though I'm not familiar enough with the internals to do that without breaking large amounts of stuff.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/716#issuecomment-37206624