[openstreetmap-website] EFF Privacy Badger complains about openstreetmap.org cookies (being used by "3rd parties") (#1032)

danstowell notifications at github.com
Wed Aug 12 21:00:18 UTC 2015

Thanks for the report. FYI on their FAQ it says "If you find domains that are under- or over-blocked, please [file a bug](https://github.com/EFForg/privacybadgerchrome/issues) on Github." The question we need to resolve is whether our cookies do anything that really should raise an eyebrow - if not, we simply close this bug and tell you to go over to *their* issue tracker instead ;)

I previously added OSM's tileservers (and HOT's tileservers too) to the official Privacy Badger whitelist.

OSM provides OpenID access to third-party sites such as http://tasks.hotosm.org and so PB may be reacting to that. I don't know if they'd be happy to whitelist it or not, I haven't asked.

To be clear: the tiles and the auth are things that we, to some extent, allow to be used across other sites, and so they're often indistinguishable from tracking cookies or tracking pixels, from the point of view of PB. For the EFF, it's just a question of whether we're trustworthy in our use of them.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1032#issuecomment-130447517