[openstreetmap-website] Language switcher on the homepage (#1115)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Mon Dec 21 11:57:54 UTC 2015

I did look at it, but it's quite hard even to figure out which bits of it are source and which bits are the files we would actually need to deploy. I think it's just the src, css and images directories we would need, but it's by no means clear.

I also found it quite hard to use myself, because many of the languages are only shown in their native scripts, which is fine for a native speaker but not very helpful for somebody like me trying to test it ;-)

In any case it's a major project to add it. Aside from working our the exactly how to import it into our vendor tree there needs to be somebody to design a control to trigger it, and space needs to be found for that control in our layout. We would also need to add support for a cookie based language override for non-logged in users and something to use that in preference to the browser derived language as the default when an account is created.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1115#issuecomment-166282713