[openstreetmap-website] Simplify sign up (#894)

Martijn van Exel notifications at github.com
Tue Feb 10 20:54:41 UTC 2015

Sign up is currently not optimal, especially from a mobile perspective. A cursory search did not turn up other tickets related to this, so here's a new one.

Current workflow has these steps:

1. Enter required information, including email address TWICE and password TWICE
1. Accept contributor terms
1. Check for confirmation mail
1. Click confirmation link in mail

I don't know if we have any metrics to prove this, but my hunch is that not many folks make it through the sign up process on mobile.

Could it be simpler, perhaps something like this:

1. Enter email only
2. Check for welcome email
3. Finish registration on desktop

This could entice more mobile app builders using OSM to include an OSM sign up link (I am looking to do this for Scout) and also more mobile users to actually sign up.

I haven't done any work on this yet, but I would like to explore if there is traction to get something going.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/894