[openstreetmap-website] Display first Nominatim search result automatically (#919)

neiljp notifications at github.com
Mon Mar 2 18:43:05 UTC 2015

@tomhughes I can certainly see the parallel-loading issue, though is this not just nominatim & geonames? Agreed that the problem would occur with simply more than one, though. Perhaps a user settings preference could resolve this?

@Dominik-K Whether each set is more useful will depend on the location in the world, I suspect.

Personally, my suggestion would be to take the 'top' results (before 'more' is clicked) and do a bbox of them with each marked with a (small) marker, which is then highlighted on hover (or scroll of a 'selected' item?) on a given name. This issue could then be solved (perhaps) by having a 'default' of selecting/highlighting the top item (with a preference setting?). Generally re the multiple lists loading in parallel, this could reload/zoom the bbox depending upon load times, and simply highlight more when the next set is loaded. I can move this idea to a separate issue, if it is not considered completely unfeasible already.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/919#issuecomment-76775929