[openstreetmap-website] Subway/metro lines are marked as "Subway Station" in Search and Query (#934)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Sat Mar 21 15:04:19 UTC 2015

It's no great mystery - that is just the outcome of the heuristics we apply. It's the same basic rules that nominatim uses because we leverage the same strings in the locale file. As I say, they are only heuristics and are unlikely to be 100% accurate, something that is pretty much impossible anyway given we are trying to interpret free form tagging.

I think the main problem is that the heuristics work within a single namespace and don't distinguish between point features and linear features, so there can only be one name for all `railway=subway` features.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/934#issuecomment-84366506