[openstreetmap-website] Clicking wikipedia-link with a section does not always work (#967)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Thu May 14 14:34:27 UTC 2015

Well that unicode escaping for the sections is not something from any kind of standard - it is some entirely made up mediawiki thing.

So it's perfectly fine for the base URL part to be the readable form because (a) mediawiki accepts spaces there anyway and (b) the rest of it is just standard URL escaping. So we don't have to do anything - the data in the database is valid as is whichever form of title you use.

That is no true for the fragment, as wikipedia doesn't handle spaces or standard URL escaping there we would have to do special custom handling in order for human readable forms to work there. While certainly could do that in the web site code it wouldn't help the thousands of other users of our data.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/967#issuecomment-102053707