[openstreetmap-website] GPLv2 as it applies to openstreetmap rails project (#1086)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Fri Nov 13 20:00:44 UTC 2015

It means what it says it means, and distribution refers to the thing that the license applies, which is to say the code. Now I guess you could argue that javascript which is sent to the user's browser is distributed, but the ruby code certainly isn't. I've never heard of anybody trying to read GPL in that way - it is after all why AGPL exists for people that want to extend the meaning of distribution in that way.

Obviously this isn't legal advice - I'm not a lawyer and I'm certainly not your lawyer. If you want a proper opinion as to what the license means you should ask a lawyer.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1086#issuecomment-156542340