[openstreetmap-website] OSRM: Zoom level 14 causes loss of precision for very close-by locations (#1077)

mmd notifications at github.com
Sun Oct 25 09:08:16 UTC 2015

Well, this issue has originally been raised by a newbie: in his words: when I calculate a route on osm.org from:
* 1, Mersmannstraße, Bocholt, Kreis Borken, Regierungsbezirk Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, 46399, Deutschland

* 6, Die Liene, Bocholt, Kreis Borken, Regierungsbezirk Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, 46399, Deutschland

OSRM will route me through a playground. [here's the link to osm.org](http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=osrm_car&route=51.85956%2C6.50017%3B51.85939%2C6.49886#map=19/51.85923/6.49963).

Next thing I did was to check the same route on the OSRM Project site: [here's the link](http://map.project-osrm.org/?z=18&center=51.859235%2C6.499635&loc=51.859563%2C6.500167&loc=51.859387%2C6.498863&hl=en&ly=&alt=&df=&srv=)

And then magic happens: osm.org did get it wrong: routoing right through the playground, while map.project-osrm.org avoided routing via the playground. See both screenshots I posted above.

BTW: it's really not a data issue as well - otherwise map.project-osrm.org would also produce incorrect results.

That's basically the issue. (let's start with that for the time being, without talking about possible solutions yet).

Do you buy this story so far? If not, what exactly is still unclear to you? Take the time to really visit both links and compare the results. That's really essential to understand the issue, imho.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1077#issuecomment-150904211