[openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website] suggested modifications in INSTALL and CONFIGURE files

Jean-Claude Jouffre jean-claude.jouffre at univ-smb.fr
Fri Dec 2 10:43:09 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have followed installation instructions and I encountered some minor
problems, so I let you know if you would like to modify the documentation.

1) INSTALL.md

when you run some rails instructions (like "bundle exec rake db:migrate"
or "bundle exec rails console"), you obtain an error message : svgo
worker: `svgo` not found

there is an advice to use --no-svgo argument, but I you execute for
example "bundle exec rails console --no-svgo", you obtain an "invalid
option"

an alternative would be to install nvgo :
   sudo apt-get install npm
   sudo npm install -g svgo
   sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nodejs /usr/bin/node (workaround for nodejs
install bug)

2) CONFIGURE.md

if you populate the database using the osmosis example, then your users
table becomes inconsistant :
- the users table is filled with a lot of records (5,338)
- but the associated sequence users_id_seq remains to 1

So the next step (to create a user by signing up to the local website)
will fail.

The workaround is to manually configure the sequence, requesting the
greatest value of id users then configuring the sequence above :
su - postgres
   psql openstreetmap
     select max(id) from users;
       -> 4900009
     alter sequence users_id_seq restart with 5000000;
     \q

Regards,
Jean-Claude

P.S. : I will continue creating a new thread for another problem without
solution