[openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website] suggested modifications in INSTALL and CONFIGURE files

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Dec 2 11:41:11 UTC 2016

On 02/12/16 10:43, Jean-Claude Jouffre wrote:

> 1) INSTALL.md
>
> when you run some rails instructions (like "bundle exec rake db:migrate"
> or "bundle exec rails console"), you obtain an error message : svgo
> worker: `svgo` not found
>
> there is an advice to use --no-svgo argument, but I you execute for
> example "bundle exec rails console --no-svgo", you obtain an "invalid
> option"
>
> an alternative would be to install nvgo :
>   sudo apt-get install npm
>   sudo npm install -g svgo
>   sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nodejs /usr/bin/node (workaround for nodejs
> install bug)

I don't really want to be telling to people to install Node.js and npm
for something that's entirely optional and doesn't matter at all.

I can't see anything that mentions `--no-svgo` which is good because it
would be complete nonsense. Rails knows nothing about svgo as such.

> 2) CONFIGURE.md
>
> if you populate the database using the osmosis example, then your users
> table becomes inconsistant :
> - the users table is filled with a lot of records (5,338)
> - but the associated sequence users_id_seq remains to 1
>
> So the next step (to create a user by signing up to the local website)
> will fail.
>
> The workaround is to manually configure the sequence, requesting the
> greatest value of id users then configuring the sequence above :
> su - postgres
>   psql openstreetmap
>     select max(id) from users;
>       -> 4900009
>     alter sequence users_id_seq restart with 5000000;
>     \q

Try to populate the database using omsosis is not recommended and we
should probably just remove that. As you've discovered it doesn't really
work.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)