[openstreetmap-website] Filterable Map Notes (#486)

Harry Wood notifications at github.com
Thu Feb 4 17:24:59 UTC 2016

I think a key consideration here is that the Notes idea is mind-bendingly simple, and we need to try to keep it that way. That mostly applies to the process of adding a note though. I guess we could make the notes layer display a bit more powerful.

I do find myself often writing "survey needed", and I've started deliberately writing those exact words on the end of note description or comment so that I might search/filter by that at some point. This could help those remote mappers who seem to be (rather too zealously perhaps) itching to close all notes in their city from the comfort of their armchair, but on the flipside it could also help folks to do very useful data gathering while out and an about, using app with a "_find your nearest 'needs survey' note_" feature.

@vincentdephily  you say "_I could hack a "last comment text contains need_info" filter, but it would lack standardisation_"  I had the same idea. I think that could be an interesting experiment. Create a kind of power tool for notes wranglers, as a separate website or JOSM plugin. Sure the standardisation is challenge. I was imagining a tool might look for various formulations we've mentioned "needs survey" "needs_survey" "#needs_survey" (personally I prefer the natural language 1st option) in the notes or comments,  and start to classify notes and display them in different colours.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/486#issuecomment-179956069