[openstreetmap-website] Accept geo: URI in search and/or other parameter (#1123)

Mikael Nordfeldth notifications at github.com
Fri Jan 1 12:32:27 UTC 2016

It appears I cannot provide geo: URIs in the search field on the website, openstreetmap.org (try with something like "geo:13.4125,103.8667" as suggested in RFC5870 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5870 ).

Such a feature would be very useful for automated linking from client software, websites etc. There is of course the possibility of directly linking to /#map=$z/$lat/$lon - but that's not standardized anywhere. Accepting a geo: URI would be great for wider compatibility.

For example, I could then setup a default handler in Mozilla Firefox for example so when clicking a geo: URI it could offer openstreetmap.org as a handler (like how the web-based IRC client Mibbit is offered for irc: links)

I wrote on the dev mailing list for OSM about this and hope that once geo: URIs can be linked, we can give a patch to Mozilla and hopefully see implementation pretty soon for clickable geo: links.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1123