[openstreetmap-website] Accept geo: URI in search and/or other parameter (#1123)

Mikael Nordfeldth notifications at github.com
Fri Jan 1 13:35:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-01 14:06, Tom Hughes wrote:
> Why not make the handler strip the geo prefix before doing the search? That will already work fine.

Because it is a URI in its entirety and thus much more distinguishable
from just a generic search term :)

Also for the reason specified further down in my original email as it
can easily be used as a protocol handler. When sending the URI to a
third party service (Mibbit, OSM.org...) the 'geo:' prefix is a good,
easy and generic way to relay important information.

So as Mozilla Firefox would like to send the full geo: URI OSM.org
should reasonably accept it, assuming this interoperability is desired.

> Searching for a URI seems like a fairly weird thing to do...

It could just as well be its own parameter (parsed after URL decoded
since it can contain '?', '&' etc.) or just used in place of the
parameters after '#' or something else. My proposal is just to make it
easy to provide a geo: URI to the web interface via a parameter so it
can be explicitly linked from an external resource.

I don't know which solution would be the smoothest to implement as I
don't know the openstreetmap.org codebase. I'd be willing to write a
patch if I get nudged in the right direction though, so I don't have to
start from scratch in understanding it :)

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
https://blog.mmn-o.se/
XMPP/mail: mmn at hethane.se
OpenPGP Fingerprint: AE68 9813 0B7C FCE3 B2FA 727B C7CE 635B B52E

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1123#issuecomment-168306651