Isochrones service for openstreetmap.org

Timothy Ellersiek timothy.ellersiek at uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Nov 9 14:02:32 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStreetMap.org developers,

I am one of the few engineers of https://openrouteservice.org which is
purely based on openstreetmap data, entirely open source and free for
the public.
For a couple of years we have been offering an isochrones service which
lets you determine areas of reachability, with time or distance as
input. As an example:

https://openrouteservice.org/reach?n1=49.416237&n2=8.678198&n3=11&a=49.415441,8.676453&b=0&i=0&j1=10&j2=1&k1=en-US&k2=km

To be honest, this service is still quite unknown/hidden to the public,
probably also because not everyone understands the potential of it at
once. Building isochrones
from OSM data is something valuable for many businesses / outdoor lovers
using ORS and also a pretty fancy showcase feature for OSM, in our opinion.

On OpenStreetMap.org I can find handful of service providers for
directions one can choose from, all featuring their capabilities of
routing on top of OSM data. What is your take on adding
a second example (isochrones) of how to consume openstreetmap data - for
a more analytical purpose? On the one hand it would benefit us obviously
but on the otherhand it's a pretty vivid showcase for OSM.

Cheers,

Timothy

--
Timothy Ellersiek
timothy.ellersiek at uni-heidelberg.de
Tel: +49 6221 54-19702

Heidelberg Institute for Geoinformation Technology
http://www.heigit.org
Openrouteservice
https://go.openrouteservice.org