[openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website] Additional user roles (Director/Directee) to support best practices in Directed Editing (#1822)
notifications at github.com
Tue Apr 17 01:48:30 UTC 2018
Directed editing is a hot topic! Various organizations are currently performing directed editing on OpenStreetMap.
There are several enhancements that we can make to the OpenStreetMap website to guide organizations towards better directed editing practices. Please discuss! 😄
**I am proposing to add two (mutually exclusive) user roles: "Director" and "Directee"**
Users with a **Director** role manage a directed editing team. (For example, managers / teachers).
What would it mean to have this role:
* Clear visibility on the user profile and other parts of the website that this user is a Director, and what organization they are affiliated with
* Directors receive copies and can view all messages and notifications sent to their directees
* Directors may manage the accounts of their directees (create, delete, rename, manage profile, etc)
* Directors have the ability to convert a Directee account to a normal account
Users with a **Directee** role work on a directed editing team. (For example, paid mappers / students). What it would mean to have this role:
* Clear visibility on the user profile and other parts of the website that this user is a Directee and what organization they are affiliated with
* Directees may not receive private messages without the Director also seeing them
* Directees have limited ability to manage their own account (TBD)
For additional reference and background, here are some things that people have written about directed editing.
* [Organized Editing Best Practice](https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organized_Editing_Best_Practice)
* [Draft Directed Editing Policy](https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Directed_Editing_Policy)
_Background: I worked with [TeachOSM](http://teachosm.org/) recently on an event in which we trained geography teachers how to use OSM. Several of the teachers have already incorporated OSM into their curricula, and provided helpful feedback on ways that we can support them. This is one of a few related issues for discussion based on this feedback. Thanks!_
cc @nualacowan @geomantic
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the rails-dev