[Rebuild] We're better off detecting splits and merges

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 16:42:49 GMT 2012

On 5 February 2012 12:50, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> I am really, really uneasy about that.

[...]

> I would far rather we have no special treatment of splits or merges; and
> that we make extra efforts in the first two weeks after the licence change
> to accommodate any objections from people who claim that their IP has been
> infringed by unintentionally carrying over a tag or two as a result of a
> split.

What Richard said - the theoretical gain from trying to handle splits
is too small to justify the probable extra mess that it will cause.
_If_ we are to contemplate doing so, I think we need to see a really
comprehensive plan (that also describes how to handle problems due to
merges) that can demonstrate that we will end up in a more correct
position.

Dermot