[Rebuild] Progress update

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 18:32:54 BST 2012

On 6/21/12 9:02 AM, Evin Fairchild wrote:
> There is still a lot of remapping to be done, especially in Los Angeles area
> where there are several mappers whom have not accepted the new license.
Yes, unfortunately there are still regions with a big requirement on
remapping, even though on a world wide scale, it is now less than 2%
[1]. At current growthrates that is about 2 - 3 months worth of data.
Even though that still is a lot of data, it is hopefully no longer
catastrophic to the project.

However, if you look at the recent progress on remapping [2] or getting
more accounts to accept[3], the graphs have more or less leveled off
since April. So currently very little progress on remapping is made and
thus delaying the change over any further isn't going to improve the
situation much anymore. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if waiting
longer actually makes the situation worse, as there could be more data
being tainted due to (new) people deriving from non-ODBL compliant data,
than data getting untainted due to remapping or account acceptance.

So assuming the license change over to ODbL is happening at all (and
that isn't really up for discussion anymore), imho now is as good a time
to do the change over as there will be with respect to data loss. At
some point one just has to bite the bullet and hope that the damage to
the data can be fixed as soon as possible.

Kai

[1] http://odbl.poole.ch/
[2] http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/munin.html
[3] http://ni.kwsn.net/~toby/OSM/license_count.html