[Rebuild] Ready to test with smaug

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 19:49:15 BST 2012

Hi All,

After muchos edge-case handling, I have a version of the run_bot.rb
script[1] which I think is ready for testing against a full-size
database. It's been discussed previously that we can use smaug, or (if
someone is feeling particularly brave) we could run it against the
live database, but I suspect testing against smaug may show up some
glitches.

The environment needed to run the bot is currently:

a) A read-only postgres connection to the rails_port database
This is used for fetching the list of "candidate" entities to process,
and for fetching history for individual entities

b) A rails front-end to the database, and a moderator-level account
This is for making map calls[2], and writing changesets and applying redactions

c) A read-write connection to a 'tracker' database
This holds the list of candidate entities, the list of regions, and
used for marking progress and dishing out regions to parrallel running
bots

d) Local filesystem access
For storing logs

Is it possible to have this environment set up, with smaug as the
database? I think the main missing component will be the rails_port
with smaug on the backend.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-license-change/blob/against_api/run_bot.rb
[2] which I fear may turn out to be the rate-determining step of the
whole system, but time will tell.