[Rebuild] Progress on rebuild plan

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Mar 21 12:42:35 GMT 2012

On 21/03/12 12:24, Dermot McNally wrote:

> Per the schedule it is to start before the 1st to facilitate
> completion of redaction by the end of the month.

I'm sorry, but than plan is completely insane.

I've only just seen the proposed dates this morning after the "plan" was
pointed out on the talk list, but the idea that we can start this next
week is just bonkers.

Only last week a board member told Grant and I that it was not
acceptable to give a weeks notice of a multi-day downtime and with
hindsight I think he was quite right. So on that basis alone there is no
way we can proceed with the plan as documented.

Then there's the fact that this plan apparently involves API changes but
rails-dev has, as yet, seen no sign of any code to review yet it is
expected to go live next week.

Equally nobody has approached the sysadmins to ask if this is
technically feasible, if the dates are possible, etc.

Until this morning my understanding was that the database change was
going to be "online" without any significant downtime!

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/