[Rebuild] Communication to data consumers wrt the licence change (draft)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 23 13:50:44 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 03/20/2012 10:37 PM, Simon Poole wrote:
> I've reworked the text to take in to account that we are now planning for a
> hard cut over.

I would still like to find out who exactly the "we" in this is. Because
I surely am not, and I am not aware of any discussion within the rebuild
group where we said "oh, let's change our minds".

We all thought that a soft cut over would make sense when we had our
telephone call. Why the sudden change? Everyone I spoke to thinks that
the soft cut over is prudent, easier to monitor, better for avoiding
mistakes, and it is clear that it is less stressful.

It was Simon who suddenly claimed that he "thought" the idea had been
"dropped". But until now I have found nobody who actually dropped the
idea. Simon, maybe you can find out exactly what led you to believe that
the idea was "dropped".

I am relatively sure that the "hard cut over" is going to be a major
cock-up and if I cannot prevent it, then at the very least I want to be
able to point the finger at someone afterwards and say: This
person/these people have decided that we will not go the soft route.

As things currently are, everyone talks as if it had somehow been
decided that the hard route was necessary but NOBODY seems to have made
this decision.

I have the feeling that some of you may be thinking that it has to be
done this way because some people on the OSMF board are throwing a fit
at the thought of not getting things done by 1st April. And then, when
the shit hits the fan, the very same board members will say: "We trusted
that rebuild group/engineering group/whatever group would do this in the
right way, had we known that this would lead to two weeks without any
mapping then of course we would have acted differently...".

The "hard cut" way is the more error-prone, more problematic way. Being
forced to run a few tests quickly over the weekend on software that
isn't even finished today, make a guess of how much read-only-time or
downtime would be required and then act on that is a very high-risk game
and it is NOT GOOD and NOT RIGHT.

This doesn't need to drag on for months but nobody, really nobody, is
served by rushing it. "1st April" is a date picked out of thin air by
three or four people. It is not our fault if that date doesn't match
reality, and it is our duty to do the best for the project, not the best
for the ego of three or four board members.

And I still want to know who exactly decided to "drop" the soft cut
over. I want this recorded. Who, when, made the decision that we need to
take the more error-prone, more stressful path that tries to get the
change through more quickly at the expense of everyone who wants to map.

Bye
Frederik