[Rebuild] Read Only?

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:47:13 BST 2012

On 03/26/2012 01:25 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The competing approach means to make the API read-only or even disable
> it altogehter (personally I don't see the point in read-only; our API is
> for editing and that's not possible with read-only), so that the changes
> can be applied faster. The wild guess for how long this would take is "a
> few days".

One aspect that is presumably somewhat related is how the migration to
the new database server will proceed. If I understand it correctly the
move will require a full dump and reload to migrate to postgresql 9.1 to
allow for replication between the two db servers. This will presumably
require several days of API downtime? How would that interact with
either the "soft" or "hard" approach?

But I guess the most important part now is to first finish the
relicensing code and get a good understanding of the run times involved
before any further plans or decisions are made.

Kai

P.S. what is the legal aspects of a soft change over? Given that the db
will be a derivative of CC-BY-SA at all times, will this be a problem?