[Rebuild] Update on plan after feedback from weekend

Tue Mar 27 16:13:00 BST 2012

Alex Barth wrote:
> We're right now working with a 7 people team on a broad scale
> mapping project with GFDRR in the Sahel zone around the
> drought crisis.

You can of course run a local instance of the Rails port and then upload
the diffs once the server is back online. I'm guessing there's not too
many local mappers in the area so there shouldn't be much danger of
conflicts even if you wait until a day or two after the downtime ends.

Communicating this sort of outage is one of the things we have to learn to
deal with as part of OSM's growing pains. Although the 1st April target
and the likelihood of attendant downtime have been well known by most of
the OSM community for a good while now, we haven't yet grown into the
processes to spread the knowledge more widely, now that OSM is
business-critical for some people. OTOH (and I'm certainly not directing
this at you, just a more general observation), making a volunteer-run
service business-critical needs to come with an awareness that you only
get the uptime you pay for!

cheers
Richard