[Routing] Routing algorithms

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Thu Nov 8 17:21:10 GMT 2007

Hi Alex,

Alex Wilson wrote:
 > Currently I've been using sqlite for the db backend - again because
 > I'm only using the UK subset. I'd be very interested to hear your
 > experiences if you've been using the planet db in its entirety.

I currently have a DB using the normal OSM mysql schema with the
addition of a routing table similar to yours (with the addition of
precalculated distances for each step).  My DB contains all of the OSM
data (as of about three weeks ago).  The preprocessing for the routes
runs in Java and takes about a day (this part is completely unoptimised).

I'm still working on stuff, but using A* and searching for shortest
routes, I can get an 80km route in ~5 seconds.  A 470km route (near
Dortmund, Germany to Berlin) takes about 3 minutes.  This is using ruby
code as part of rails.

I'll be reading the papers you pointed at this evening.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.