[Routing] Routing algorithms

Brandon Martin-Anderson badhill at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:43:53 GMT 2007

Oh you better believe Google has thought about things like bike routing: the
'avoid highways' checkbox is their nod to it. But they're a mass-market
company and there's no mass-market for bicycle routing (yet!)

A year ago I did a bit of research and came up with the following notes on
heirarcical encoding for shortest-path approximation on very large graphs,
which I strongly suspect is the technology Google has expanded upon to
create their system. Here are my a few things I wanted to follow up on,
unedited and unordered:

Heirarchical Optimizations of Optimal Path Finding for Transportation
Applications
   1996 foundational text outlining HEPV (heirarchical encoded path views).
   See: ref 13 for algorithm on graph partitioning, multi-levels

Heirarchical Encoded Path Views...
   1998 expansion of (1) much more readable, prettier graphs

A Performance Analysis...
   1997 analysis of a 2-level heirarchical graph, with 10x as many nodes in
the test graph as (1)

Approximate Shortest-path Algorithms
    post-2002. Proposes a "Network Tree Model" as an alternative to HEPV for
extremely large networks (millions of nodes). Results are not optimal.

Approximating Shortest-Paths in Large Scale Networks
    1998 proposition of a non-optimal heirarchical graph system

An efficeint path computation model for heirarchically structured...
    1998/2000 proposed heirarchical search method uses much less space than
HEPV. Touches base on storage methods, recommends [
40<http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=CCAM%253A+shekhar&btnG=Search>].
Also As this is a major heirarchical paper search things that
reference it<http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&cites=5835360768894073554>.
One 2006 paper on speed-up has been added.

Combining Speed-up Techniques
    shortest path for trains and busses: see
    "FATES: Finding A Time dEpendent Shortest path"

I have a little more and I'll elaborate when I get some time.

-B