[Routing] No tags like "country" and "city" in planet.osm for ways?

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 11 15:53:40 GMT 2007

Max Power wrote:
> I've looked in some data of the planet.osm file and i'm wondering, why there are no tags like "country=" and "city=" for ways. So you can't make a useful routing, because you want to search for example the route from one road in Paris to one road in Berlin. You don't want to click somewhere in the map to mark it as start or end point. Is it planned to integrate such tags? Or is there anywhere a relation like country->city->road in planet.osm? Can i find cities in the data?
>
> Regards,
> Herodot

It's place=city, or place=whatever - you should find Paris tagged as
place=city, name=Paris, with the is_in tag to be sure which for towns
with commoner names.

There isn't yet a relation as you describe, though a simple enough
distance-from-target calculation should do the job? It is something
planned for the future.

Mark