[Routing] "correct" tagging of city/country/suburb/zip-code Was: No tags like "country" and "city" in planet.osm for ways?

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Mon Nov 12 18:24:37 GMT 2007

Hi,

Marcus Wolschon wrote:

> Well, the "correct" solution that also answers if a street is
> NOT contained in a city would be so use the existing
> place-tags on a polygon marking the actual
> city/suburb/zip-code/state-limits.

Sure, this would be ideal.  I think it'll be a while before we get to
that richness of data everywhere, though.  So a pragmatic solution for
the current state of affairs is taking proximity of a street to a named
place.  Incidentally, this is certainly the way that I've seen various
navigation systems implement this.

> This is also MUCH less work then using is_in and much less error-prone.

I don't believe David Earl's name finder uses is_in at all, just
proximity of places.  I personally don't ever add is_in tags to stuff
that I map as I regard it as an entirely broken concept.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.