[Routing] Routing web-services?

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 22:17:54 GMT 2007

On Monday 19 November 2007 20:30:45 Andreas Leupin wrote:
> what happens to the way IDs, if the map data is upgraded on the
> server but not on the client which uses the route?

Well you can display the route using just the list of lat/lon (including going
around roundabouts and stuff) -- the way IDs are just there if you want to
download the names, which means they only need to be valid for the time it
takes you to download them

It does raise one other question -- when you get the route back, should the
server send all the nodes, or just the intersection ones?

(from pyroute's point of view, having them all sounds good because then you
can display the route without needing any other data. [especially if you
won't always be going the full length of the OSM 'way's that you use])

I guess that will mean extra work for some servers though, since they need to
store intermediate nodes as well as the ones they use for routing.