[Routing] A-Star meet-in-the-middle

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Tue Nov 20 21:09:55 GMT 2007

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Leupin wrote:
 > However, I think that the A*-algorithm is not ideal because it is
 > absolutely symmetrical around the start/destination - this means that
 > routes leading away from the destination are equal than those leading
 > into the direction of the destination.

I skimmed over the PDF at

http://www.leupinfo.ch/pdf/OpenGPScout_YP.pdf

As far as I can make out, the routing algorithm you're describing /is/
in fact A* (from the destination to the start).  The straight-line
distance you describe is (one possible) heuristic as used by A*.  To
quote from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm

"The priority assigned to a path x is determined by the function f(x) =
g(x) + h(x)."

g(x) here is the distance travelled, while h(x) is a heuristic for the
distance still to travel - in your case the straight-line distance.

Have I misunderstood?

--
Jon