[Routing] SVG instead of tiles was: Routing web-services

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:22:22 GMT 2007

> I did look at using the vector data for display in pyroute.  And I got results
> looking similar to all the other vector map displays -- i.e. that the maps
> are very slow and very ugly.

There's the challenge : On small displays (cellphones), download maps
does not work, because the name of a long way is often rendered on a
tile that is too far from the current from the current location.

Formal SVG is too slow because it uses things like bezier curves and xml.

But primitives like lines, polygons, rotated text and bitblts (for
icons) are often implemented in assembly or hardware, so they should
be faster than decompressing pngs.