[Routing] tracks, ways, avg. speed -> new attribs for our ways

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Wed Feb 11 13:48:04 GMT 2009

http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/TomTom-s-crowdsourcing-5-millionth-map-correction_a1234.html

> it says (beside other things) tomtom collects track data of their users
and
> calculates avg. speeds per street/way.
>
> - did anyone think about that using our tracks and map data?

Yes, we have some lengthy discussion on this topic in the archive.
The end of it was that our track-data is not usable for this purpose
but that a customized service to collect average speeds of different
general car-types with drivers that are not currently mapping side-roads
would be a good thing.
Also many ways of anonymizing and corrupting gpx-tracks have been
discussed.

> - is it feasible?
> - will/can derived data be used?

It can be used, the license is clear. However the quality of the data is
not good enough.

We SHOULD get something like the map_features -page but for tags on
gpx-tracks. This way we can query our tracks by vehicle-type and similar
categories.

Marcus