[Routing] Time dependent/live traffic map data

Eric Marsden eric.marsden at free.fr
Wed Apr 6 07:44:00 BST 2011

>>>>> "jm" == Jay Mahadeokar <jai.mahadeokar at gmail.com> writes:

  jm> traversing any edge, the algorithm must consider the cost of edge at that
  jm> instant of time. Thus the algorithm will give the path which has least
  jm> arrival time from source to destination.
  jm>
  jm> I was wondering if OSM has such time-dependent data for real road networks.
  jm> It would be really useful if such data is made available. I believe Navteq
  jm> provides such data with high resolution (correct upto intervals of 5 mins).

  Hello Jay,

  Lukas Kabrt worked on the data analysis part of this problem during
  last year's Google Summer of Code. He developed software that is able
  to analyze a bunch of GPX files to extract the per-way and
  per-timeslice travel times.

    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing/Travel_Time_Analysis

  What is missing is the data collection part of this problem:
  collecting enough tracks from volunteers (while protecting privacy),
  storing them in a dedicated database, updating the travel time
  statistics regularly, providing an API for clients to access this
  information.

--
Eric Marsden