[Routing] Javascript Router

Christian Vetter veaac.fdirct at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 23:16:13 BST 2011

Hi,

I guess nobody ever did Java Script routing for real, since routing
usually involves going through a lot of data. As you normally have to
retrieve this data from a server it's much easier just to let the
server compute the route instead, possible making use of
precomputation.

If you want to go ahead with this, take a look at Dijkstra's algorithm
[1]. It requires a normal graph data structure ( an adjacency array
should suffice ) as well as a priority queue ( e.g. a binary heap [2]
)

Of course there exist more complex  and efficient algorithms, but
Dijkstra's should suffice for a first Java Script implementation.

Best regards,

Christian Vetter

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra%27s_algorithm
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_heap