[OSM-Science] Figshare and ODbL

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:44:44 UTC 2020

Hello list,

Many scientists now use services such as Figshare to share their
research data. I'm one of them. It supports open content licences
including the standard Creative Commons licences - but not the ODbL.

This came up as a problem when I found a dataset on Figshare derived
from OpenStreetMap. The dataset authors agreed that their data should
be ODbL-licensed, since it's a derived database. However, Figshare's
set of licence tags doesn't even allow you to specify "other" licence,
so the current situation is that it's tagged as CC-BY, but the readme
clarifies that it's ODbL.

I raised the issue with Figshare. They considered it but rejected adding ODbL:
https://support.figshare.com/support/discussions/topics/6000061528

Are there people on this mailing list who may have the same need,
and/or ideas about how to move this forward?

Best
Dan