[Strategic] Server hardware donation offer

Eugene Usvitsky eugene at usvitsky.com
Fri Feb 11 10:48:31 GMT 2011

Hi Frederik,

Your position is completely reasonable and I agree with it. The
general picture is right - there are a lot of uncertain points in
Russia laws especially for situations where mapping and crowd-sourcing
are combined. Military bases are not the ones, there are large lists
of objects that should not be present on public maps - power lines,
road width and type of cover, and many-many others. It seems that
Rambler directors understand that they are getting in "grey zone" here
(and this is good since they are the first of large companies who do
so). So I can't really 100% guarantee that these servers won't be
turned off in case of some legal actions. However, we should remember
2 things:

1. Rambler is simply hosting the servers not owning any data there so
from official point of view they are (almost) not responsible for its
content. This reduces the risk of loss.
2. I don't recommend to move the whole (or part) of OSM critical
infrastructure to Moscow. I was talking about powerful mirror and
additional servers for projects that OSMF couldn't simply afford
before.

Best wishes,
Eugene.